Monday, September 22, 2008

Travellers’ Blog Entry No. 9

Our last day in Eureka.

We had been invited by some new friends to join a birthday party. It was a special party - and this became obvious, when I asked our new friend Alex about his political view.

Alex claims himself as "metro-cosmopolitan-sexual-orientated".

His coming-out, one year ago, involved many lost friends and many gossip in a "small" city, like Eureka. Alex loves going out, shopping and he loves travelling. To him nothing is more important to define one's point-of-view and one's lifestyle, than seeing as many different coutries and cultures as possible. Alex had been in Europe (Italy, France, Netherlands and Sweden), in South Africa and in Columbia. He speaks three different languages and is about to learn Chinese - one of the most difficult languages of the world. You see, Alex saw much in his life - poverty and wealth, different political systems and he met many different people.


But Alex won't go to the election in November.

In a former article I spoke about Martina, the woman with the German roots, who rejects to vote for anyone. She was much older than Alex, she'd seen the fall of the Berlin Wall and she'd seen the problems which the fall brought with it. She may had lost her trust in politics.

But Alex must have visions and ideals."I have priorities - and my first prioriety is my own life, my friends, my familiy, my life!" Alex said. "What has politics to do with it?" What first sounds like an ignorant phrase, appears quite clear, when he explains his point-of-view.

"I am so liberal. Once I've been called a Anarchist. To me, every one can do and be what he wants. Who cares if you, as a woman, loves women? It doesn't matter if you are a man and you wear a girl's dress with high-heels. I appreciate the ones who speak out their opinion - whatever comes with it! I do not believe in restrictions - sure we need laws to keep the nation running - but I am a strong fighter for personal freedom. Not only in laws, but in the people's minds!"

Alex' father is a supporter of the Republican party, while his mom is a Democrat. "All doors open for me!", Alex smiled. But he will not vote for the Repubs ("Are you crazy?") and not for the Democrats ("10 percent of myself is a Democrat"). He dealt with the alternate candidates. But to his opinion, none of them is the right person to be the next president of the USA. "Too less charism, too less skills in representation on an international floor.", he said.

Alex will not go to the elections at November, 4th.

"What do these elections stand for?", he asked. "For the impact of the mass-media on to the people’s opinion, the ship-wrecked leadership of George W. Bush and for the next four years of the imotile governmental system of the USA.

He spoke out very loud, when he said: "Do you remember the scene, when Bush wanted to give Chancellor Angela Merkel a massage? When he was shaking her shoulders and she was trying to put his hands away? I mean, he knows, that there were cameras, he knows, that Mrs. Merkel is the leader of a European country - this was a typical gesture like a lump, a bumpkin, not knowing how to behave. Do you want to see such a man as your country leader, as your president? I was so embarrassed, even if I did not vote for Bush."


“I do not see any chance and hope for my country - not with an Obama, not with a McCain."Alex does not want to participate on the one's or the other's success.


"You cannot be interested in watching CNN - the debates are rediculous. They are so easy to see through. Oh, you see that loving mother, who lost her son in Iraq? Oh, you see John McCain shaking the hands of the woman and her husband? See, he's got tears in his eyes, too. Oh, what a nice man - he helps sad families...! Is this really the same man, who said, five minutes ago, that he will accept troops in Iraq for the next 1000 years? I am sorry - I will not go to these elections!"

And Obama? "Oh yes, he speaks a lot about hope and change - but I, myself, do not believe in this big words. Their function is to make you feel better as an American - yes, my country leads unjustified wars, my country is in a huge economic crisis, my country still suffers from discrimination - but it will change. One day. Maybe in some years."

Alex smiled again. "Maybe I am sarcastic, but I am a realist - the problems are deeply anchored in our country. This will take a lot of years to change it. And Obama is too much dependent on to the upper crust, the ones with the money and the impact. And they are not ready to change."


To me, this is a drastic view. Alex spoke with a lot of frustration. Frustration, which maybe comes from living in the USA and being a little different to the mainstream young people.

Alex is talking about discrimination: "I lost my last job, when my boss found out, that I was gay. He did not say that directly, but there was no other obvious reason."

Most of the States of America do not accept same-sex marriages - only California and Massachusetts released a law, which allows thoses unions. "I am lucky to live in California", Alex says. "I could marry my boyfriend here, just as normal as it can be!"

Doesn't this law gives you trust in politics, again? Alex sees it very clear: "We are electing the President of the United States - if only two states out of 50 allow a normal thing like marriages of people who love each other - what do you think: Would this country have a leader which brings "changes"?"

Friends, family, the own way of life - this is what counts for Alex. He wants to be accepted just as he is. To him, no politician represents his values of life. He is not in-between, he is not tired of politics - there is no candidate, who is worth to vote for.

Our new friends from Eureka

No comments: