Friday, October 10, 2008

Travellers’ Blog Entry No. 21

How the financial crisis affects American familiesI wrote about how the American financial crisis has an impact on the economy in Las Vegas. But what do normal American families do? How might they suffer from the effects of the crisis and the reduction thatcomes from the insolvencies of banks and companies?
I spoke to a woman who I met at the barber. Lois is 32 and works a full-time job at the shop. She has a 7-year-old daughter. She talked with me about the situation in America for her, now.
"I do fear, that I could lose my job, of course. This barber shop is not the only one in Las Vegas - we have less regular customers. It's the tourists we depend on. If they will stop spending money in Vegas, they must cut jobs. I still get the same salary, but the prices increase. Who can afford a day in a theme park for almost 90 dollars per person? My daughter Sheila wants to do that, but how can I spend 200 dollars just for the entrance? I am a single parent and I must watch my money. No specials possible. I have to pay the rent, my debts, the monthly bills, food, clothes. And everything gets more expensive. It really breaks my heart to have my daughter asking to go to the movies and I have to say "no" because I do not know what hard times will come and I have to save some money. I do not know how to pay Sheila's college in a few years! And I know that it is not only me who has to fear the future. Most of my friends have to think about every single penny they want to spend."
Even I, as a foreigner, can feel the climate is changing in the country: TV commercials with men and women advertise for their help in financial questions or help with problems to pay credit cards.
The insurance companies promote car insurance, health insurance and more - the Americans want to feel safe in such insecure times. The years of mindlessness are over.
The candidates try to reveal that they will secure the people in the country by creating a health insurance system. To me, only Barack Obama can convince me with his program concerning the health system.
But how much of Obama's programs can be achieved, when the USA has to carry the 700 Billion rescue package?

No comments: